[EdLUG] Problem with ssh

Matthew Rankine matthew at mrankine.com
Wed Jun 24 18:43:34 UTC 2020

My understanding is that as part of the Archlinux/arm installation process,
you've flashed some Arch-specific firmware to the device (as per steps
13-14 of https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/seagate-goflex-net). So
it's not going to boot without the USB disk containing Arch OS, nor will it
revert Seagate OS. But it sounds like Arch successfully boots with the USB
disk, so that's good.

What about removing the Arch USB disk and editing it from another machine
before putting it back in the GoFlex? If you can edit a script
that executes on startup, then you can run arbitrary commands on the device
and diagnose/solve the problem from "inside". One route would be creating a
cron job which runs on startup ("@reboot") by saving a file to /etc/cron.d.
May take some trial and error (permissions etc).

The startup script could try:
- restarting the SSH server and saving a log to disk for your later
investigation in another machine
- listing the firewall rules - the device responding to ping but refusing
port 22 suggests maybe a firewall issue?

Good luck

Matthew