[EdLUG] Rehome a netbook

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Mon Feb 17 14:54:47 UTC 2020

Hi all,

My partner has an old Samsung netbook which she's not using, and would like to see if someone else could make use of it. If you've forgotten 'netbooks', they were small, lower spec laptops, which were sold between roughly 2007 and 2012 (according to Wikipedia). For a brief moment, it looked like they could be a niche for Linux on consumer laptops, but it didn't last.

Specs: Intel Atom N455 (64 bit, single core), 2GB RAM, 320 GB disk, 1024x600 screen, 3x USB ports, VGA, Ethernet, separate headphone & microphone jack sockets, Kensington lock slot

Also included: Power adapater with UK plug, 1 GB stick of compatible RAM (original, replaced with 2GB stick), manuals and Windows 7 starter system recovery DVD (how you're meant to use this is unclear, as the netbook doesn't have an optical drive).

As far as we can tell, it's still in good working order, although the battery probably doesn't last as long as it did when new. It doesn't get used because it's fairly slow, and we have faster devices around. It could still be used as a laptop if you don't mind some waiting, and not trying to open too much at once. Or you might be able to use it as some kind of home server, or for testing software performance on lower spec hardware. I'm sure there are plenty more possibilities too! Let me know if you want any more details about it.

I can hand it over at an EdLUG meeting if someone wants it, or agree on another time to meet.

Thanks,
Thomas