[EdLUG] Fw: Questions for all fellow EdLUG people

Gábor Majoros mersaint at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 14:13:01 UTC 2020

Well, who doesn't run a personal server? :) I have a couple pi(s?) running
doing all sort of funky stuff (not really), but if you get the recipe right
can't see why not - however have to agree with Thomas if you are after a
reliable service I probably would say to just use one that's ready made for
you.

Also kinda personal server openwrt, while it's mainly network has zillions
of options if needed thus could be seen as a server? This could be guess an
other topic if someone was interested? Just recently got a free BT homehub
5 that's one beast for a router in terms of HW specs.

The internet accessible part with regards a home server is indeed a bit
fiddly but not impossible (noip for dynamic DNS - DDNS, catch to confirm
your hosts every month...) and Let's encrypt - regenerate SSL every 3
months.

Can you expand the "technical details" on the printscreen you have attached
- what I suspect is that you connect, but the captive portal doesn't kick
in and you do not click though? However when you try a website you get
re-directed to the captive portal that could throw this error since the URL
and the captive portal's SSL (if any) doesn't match. I have used it back in
the day and was working okay... but as said seen this error a couple times.
The landing page of ddg is nice and neutral, I would click though see where
I end up - if it's not the captive portal to accept the usage policy I
would just stop using it, if it was the captive portal would try an other
portal with SSL to confirm that it's all good.

Gabor