[EdLUG] Fw: Questions for all fellow EdLUG people

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Sun Feb 9 13:57:38 UTC 2020

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020, at 12:51 PM, emailontheweb wrote:
> Not sure if I'm up for having my own server, is that difficult & time consuming ? :/

It's probably not worth it if you don't already have a server for another purpose. It's a bit fiddly to run an externally-accessible server at your house, and renting a 'cloud' server costs at least a few £/€/$ per month, for which price there are plenty of services offering email and calendars as a ready-made service. E.g. Posteo (https://posteo.de/en ) from €1 per month, or Tutanota (https://www.tutanota.com/calendar/ ) which has a free plan (apparently my guess earlier was not quite right!). I haven't used either of those myself, but I'm sure I've spoken to someone at EdLUG who uses Tutanota.

Running a personal server could be an interesting topic for a future EdLUG meeting, though. I'm sure we've got people who know more about it than me.

Thomas