[EdLUG] Linux wifi phones that can plug into a UK phone socket

Geetam geetam0 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 10:32:33 UTC 2020

Hi Tahir

You may have a few 'wires' crossed in your idea. Or I am totally confused.

1) a BT-type phone socket is good to connect a simple telephone instrument
(POTS Plain Old Telephone System). It is useful to have a POTS  instrument
handy if you need to test your line or if you need to make an emergency
telephone call when you do not have any power for your 'fancy' devices.
(WiFi does not come into this).

2) VoIP telephones connect to the network, usually with RJ45. (WiFi still
does not come into it).

3) I believe there are VoIP phones that can also connect to your BT-type
telephone socket (for convenience: you can choose which method (outgoing
line) to use for your calls and all incoming calls will ring the same
phone) (WiFi still does not come into it 😇).

4) I too am quite keen to use Linux wherever I can, but (to me) it seems a
bit overkill to want Linux running on a simple telephone (smart phones
excluded). Unless you want specific functions (but you said you did not
need/want Asterisk or similar PABX functionality).

5) making phonecalls over WiFi? I would use a VoIP app on my smartphone.
And that does not need a physical telephone instrument - your WiFi router
(running Linux, I assume) is doing that job already. I am confused when you
ask about wired telephone devices and WiFi... 🙄. Or do you mean a cordless
phone? In that case go back to 3) above and find a cordless VoIP device
that also conects to your landline.

6) in case you want to use a WiFi device to make calls through your
landline: landline call charges are higher than mobile phone or VoIP
charges these days.

7) SSH into a phone? What would I do there? Oh, yes, just because I can 😉.

My advice: buy a POTS phone on eBay (I recommend looking for an old (BT)
Viscount - not much to go wrong - just works, even if your power is off or
your battery is empty)

I offer all this for your consideration (and amusement)

Regards
Geetam

---
I don't know
I don't know what it is
I don't know what it is that I don't know

Isn't it beautiful