[EdLUG] Linux wifi phones that can plug into a UK phone socket

Jeremy Nicoll jn.ml.elx.813 at letterboxes.org
Mon Dec 14 18:30:28 UTC 2020

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020, at 10:32, Geetam wrote:

> 6) ... landline call charges are higher than mobile phone or VoIP
> charges these days.

The OP mentioned a Virgin phoneline.

Unless they also took out a calls package, they'll find that Virgin's
phone use charges are very high.

I route all my 'landline' calls through a secondary provider; the one I
use is popularly known as "18185" because that's the access number
one would dial first if calling from a BT line.  For calls from a Virgin
phone line one dials instead 0808 1 703 703 then waits for a voice
prompt then dials the full STD required number, followed by a hash.

I've got the access number stored at the start of my DECT handsets'
number directory, so it's easy to find, & I've stored the few numbers
I dial most often with the trailing hash.  So to ring someone I press
the handset's 'phonebook' button & dial the first number displayed,
then while it connects & plays the prompt I scroll through the other
numbers to the one I want so that as soon as I've heard the prompt
I can select it.

The downside of storing numbers with the hash is that the phone
doesn't recognise incoming calls from those people as the caller-id
number (no hash) doesn't match any value stored in the handset.
As in my case the DECT handsets are old, they only store a small
set of numbers, so I've had to choose them carefully ... and I have
stored two people's numbers twice - once with the hash for use
when I ring them, and once without it to have their name display
when they ring me.

See: https://www.18185.co.uk/
and for Virgin use etc: https://www.18185.co.uk/rates-mobile

(the latter page isn't listed on the home page but is available
if you use the home page's 'hamburger' menu).

I don't use the phone all that much; 18185 bill my credit card every
two months. One can download a list of all the numbers rung and
the costs for each call.  I've a script that reformats that, attaching
names to numbers dialled, & grouping the call details per other
person, but it requires me to remember to note numbers I ring
that I've never rung before.  Therefore every two months I tend to
find myself googling phone numbers to update the script.

I've used the service since 2008.  There's been no problems.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.