[EdLUG] Linux wifi phones that can plug into a UK phone socket

Tahir Hafiz tahir.hafiz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 16:31:37 UTC 2020

Have moved to new abode - went for a Virgin media package deal to get
internet, TV and phoneline as it was pretty much the same price as
getting those things individually.

I have not had a dedicated phone line socket for many, many years
because I've just been purely using my mobile phone.
I am wondering if there are any phones out there that can plug into a
normal UK phone house socket (back of the virgin media internet
modem/hub box in my case) and allow normal phone line calls, and wifi
calling etc and are running Linux.
Found one so far (I think, not sure if anyone can recommend it):
https://www.internetvoipphone.co.uk/product_data/gigaset-dx800a-datasheet.pdf

Bearing in mind that I am not really wanting to set-up a home asterisk
server and play around with phones to such a great extent. Looking
more for a fun end-user type appliance that has some extra features
and is running linux.
Therefore, are there any phone appliances that might be a fun addition
to the new home and can even be ssh'd into perhaps that people have
tried?

Cheers,
Tahir