[EdLUG] EdLUG Online assets | Website

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Mon Feb 18 19:01:36 UTC 2019

Online assets (Pt 1)

This will be the first of a handful of queries around our online assets.

{
tl;dr =>

* Drupal and dynamic CMSes require work and maintenance, and to maintain
logins secure
* static sites are much easier to maintain on a volunteer basis
* source control helps track changes better
* should we move?

Please vote: https://framadate.org/DAJ2lUiUwnjhDEKQ
}

As you may know, we currently have an EdLUG website hosted at
http://www.edlug.org.uk ; it uses Drupal and has a number of features.

In fact, one could argue that it might even have too many features. I
mooted this at the November 2018 meeting, and there seemed to be positive
noises around moving to a static website instead, hosted either through
Gitlab.io Pages, or Github.io Pages

Also the certificate is set up wrong so does not work properly over HTTPS ;
I'm sure this could be fixed, but adds maintenance overhead, requiring
renewals etc.

Also it needs an update test, and then to be updated, so as to patch
vulnerabilities. More involved maintenance.

*++ Demo*

I've grabbed the "edlug" name on each of Github and Gitlab, and set up some
demos - both build from the same source so are identical:

* https://gitlab.com/edlug/web --> https://edlug.gitlab.io/web
* https://github.com/edlug/edlug.github.io --> https://edlug.github.io

I'll be aiming to make this the topic of May's talk - Static Sites, Jekyll
and (Github.io|Gitlab.io)

Note that it is of course possible to change the theme anytime. There are
quite a few to choose from https://jekyll-themes.com/free/

*++ What does this mean for visitors?*

Visitors will get a simpler, more straightforward experience when visiting
the site. The current demo site simply shows a basic intro, when we meet,
and where we meet. I copied the EdLUG history page into one place, put the
mailing list FAQ in a second page, and added a "What is Linux" page for
good measure.

We can point the existing domain name "edlug,org.uk" to this location if we
want, or simply keep with the edlug.git*.io address as it is.

*++ What does this mean for contributors?*

Anybody can contribute now. You can do so by having an account on GitLab
and fork/merge-requesting, or you can send in patch files for it if you're
so inclined.

No web coding knowledge is needed, and we don't have to maintain our own
site with login system and potential vulnerabilities to patch.

This is the home page source. It is very, very simple to modify.

https://gitlab.com/edlug/edlug.gitlab.io/raw/master/index.md

Here's the "What's Linux" page - if you see anything that should be stated
differently, you are welcome to submit fixes!

https://gitlab.com/edlug/edlug.gitlab.io/raw/master/linux.md

*++ Why change?*

* Simplify web site
* Less attack vectors on a static site than Drupal (it needs more TLC than
I care to put in, for no real gain other than preventing password leaks and
defacing)
* We do not have to maintain log ins for contributors ourselves, and open
ourselves to risk in case of a data breach (user information is handled by
Gitlab/Github themselves, and they're pretyy good at it)
* Anybody can contribute to the website if it is hosted as code
* Change control is improved by using Gitlab or Github
* Static site can be hosted pretty much anywhere - using Github or Gitlab
is merely convenience; we could also host it in place of Drupal in the same
hosting space
* Using GitLab or GitHub can also serve as an open space for organising
plans and tasks through *Issue* cards

*++ What to decide*

My question is:

For the EdLUG Website we should

* Continue using Drupal - change nothing
* Use a static site on the server space we have
* Use Gitlab.io to host the website
* Use Github.io to host the website
* Something else completely

Poll here: https://framadate.org/DAJ2lUiUwnjhDEKQ

Even if you have no opinion, please do cast a vote! (a yellow tick in all
the options). Helps gauge how much actual engagement there is!

Thanks

Tai

===
Tai Kedzierski
Linux Operations and Deployments Engineer

RHCSA # 170-060-834
<https://www.redhat.com/rhtapps/services/verify?certId=170-060-834>

I use LibreOffice <https://www.libreoffice.org/> , a free,
Freedom-respecting replacement for MS Office

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software