[EdLUG] Hello from a lurker and why is the list configured this way?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Sun Mar 27 17:39:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

The "old" archive pages were generated by Mhonarc on a regular schedule.
All Mhonarc does is parse emails and turn them into static webpages
which was adequate for what we want. It doesn't need to be ran on the
same system as the mailserver or the webserver but it does need to "see"
a copy of the messages i.e. be on a system that is a recipient of the
messages and have read access to them.
If possible doing this on a server/hosted system would be better so the
task could be automated and doesn't require human interaction.

The other question is about whether we should be hiding sender details
on the mailing list itself. I can see good reasons for both approaches
to be honest- I'm not so concerned about other EdLUGers seeing my name
and email address but I'd rather they didn't end up visible on the wider
internet so I get even more spam than I do currently :-)

Unfortunately I've reinstalled my machine at least once since I did the
initial Sympa Mhonarc export so I no longer have the scripts and config
files. Maybe this means that I need to fire up unixdev5.ucs.ed.ac.uk one
last time....

Anyway it sounds like this is something that needs discussed and looked
at as a group.

Mark.