[EdLUG] Hello from a lurker and why is the list configured this way?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Sun Mar 27 16:02:55 UTC 2016

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 02:48:32PM +0100, Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote:
>    As we are, lug.org settings for pipermail (mailman's archiving tool) are:

I'm left confused about your requirements now!

(BTW The source code is all available, so if someone cares enough about
this, they can write and submit patches.)

But the usual way to deal with requirements for conflicting settings is
to break this into two separate pieces that don't conflict.

Can whatever it is you are trying to achieve be done by using two
mailing lists (what the docs call 'umbrella'), where the second one
(doing the public archiving) is subscribed to the first (limited to
members only)?  Then you get two independent sets of mailman settings
to control.  Since emails then get to the second list from the first one
via standard email, you also have the ability to customise the mail
configuration to perform additional processing in between the lists
(e.g. via procmail or a custom script or even directly in the exim
configuration file).

Alasdair
agk at lug.org.uk