[EdLUG] Hello from a lurker and why is the list configured this way?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Sun Mar 27 13:48:54 UTC 2016

Pre lug.org we had a tool that generated the web archive from the list. This tool munged the addresses, not majordomo.

As we are, lug.org settings for pipermail (mailman's archiving tool) are:

(a) open the reply to setting so that emails are shown in the list. This displays un-munged addresses in the archive on the website, or

(b) close the reply to settings so that emails are not shown in the list and hide email addresses behind Edlug User Group on the website.

We tried (a) which resulted in a spoofing attack on the list and a bit more spam being caught in my filter. Hence we went back to (b).  We have tried to reconfigure the original archiving tool, but it seems to rely on Web and mail servers being on the same machine, which isn't the case.

During this discussion there have already been two people who have suggested that they do not want their email addresses shown publicly on the website and I can say that I'm in that camp. Right now we need to get everyone who is interested in helping to resolve the issue together to brainstorm and test a working solution before making any changes to the list.

Regards

Jan

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote ----