[EdLUG] Cat6 or regular phone cable for 60m distance?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Jun 30 17:17:40 UTC 2016

> On 30 Jun 2016, at 12:36, Edinburgh Linux Users Group <edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk> wrote:
>
> I ended up being able to talk to the electrician who requested phone extension line; I am made to understand that this would carry the signal far enough

I think you're being given bad advice. Broadband over phone lines is a fudge. The shorter the length of phone cable twisted pair the better.

> Apologies I forgot to specify that this is in an office building, and the exchange box is in a room along a few corridors with locked doors on the way, so we couldn't really put the router there.

You really should put the router right next to the master socket and run Ethernet from there to the rest of your network. There is absolutely no need for your router to be physically close to you. If you need wireless, get a wireless access point and site it somewhere more practical.

Sent from my iPhone

--
Kevin Davidson
Apple Certified System Administrator

t 01506 668674
m 07813 149620
w www.indigospring.co.uk

indigospring (Scotland) Ltd
Registered in Scotland No. SC398572
Registered office: 103 Oldwood Place, Livingston EH54 6US

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/indigospringIT
Members of the Apple Consultants Network - consultants.apple.com/uk

http://www.indigospring.co.uk/terms-and-conditions