[EdLUG] Cat6 or regular phone cable for 60m distance?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Jun 30 11:36:35 UTC 2016

Thanks all for responses

I ended up being able to talk to the electrician who requested phone
extension line; I am made to understand that this would carry the signal
far enough

Apologies I forgot to specify that this is in an office building, and the
exchange box is in a room along a few corridors with locked doors on the
way, so we couldn't really put the router there.

I think there was a fault in my thinking in the first place where I was
imagining putting the filter at the "wall" (it looks like a regular wall
block, dangling off the exchange rack - the tentel engineer did that, not
me!) and then using Ct5e/Cat6 from there to the router, forgetting that
that length could not have been ethernet cabling anyway...

I still don't know the name of the cable type; all I can see is that it has
4 wires in it so it sounds like what David is describing as the Cat3....

Can I assume that when wiring at home (different scenario now) that if I
plug the router into a socket that's not the primary one (and instead,
plugging into an outlet that was installed as an extension), I am doing it
wrong from a data-throughput-maximization point of view? Or can Cat3 still
carry a high rate of digital signal (with other tradeoffs instead)?

===
Tai Kedzierski

Affordable Office IT for Freelance and Startup Businesses
http://helpuse.com/

  I use www.libreoffice.org

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
http://bit.ly/foss-why-care