[EdLUG] Cat6 or regular phone cable for 60m distance?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Tue Jun 28 19:40:38 UTC 2016

> On 28 Jun 2016, at 18:25, Edinburgh Linux Users Group <edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk> wrote:
>
> I need to wire a router in one room to a phone socket, 60m away.
>
> I am wondering what the best cable choice is for reliability and maximized data thrgouhput - attach the filter at the wall and run long cat6, or run phone cable from the wall to the router and attach filter there?
>
> I guess my main problem is that I cannot find what the name/definition of regular phone cable is to look up its properties....

My first reaction is: don't do it that way.

You want your router (ADSL? You haven't said, but I'm assuming) as close to your master phone socket as possible. You can then run Ethernet cables up to 100m to a switch or WAP or whatever other network equipment you need.

Sent from my iPhone

--
Kevin Davidson
Apple Certified System Administrator

t 01506 668674
m 07813 149620
w www.indigospring.co.uk

indigospring (Scotland) Ltd
Registered in Scotland No. SC398572
Registered office: 103 Oldwood Place, Livingston EH54 6US

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/indigospringIT
Members of the Apple Consultants Network - consultants.apple.com/uk

http://www.indigospring.co.uk/terms-and-conditions