[EdLUG] Cat6 or regular phone cable for 60m distance?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Jun 29 17:30:10 UTC 2016

On 28 June 2016 at 19:04, Edinburgh Linux Users Group <
edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk> wrote:

> On 28 Jun 2016 6:25 p.m., "Edinburgh Linux Users Group" <
> edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > I need to wire a router in one room to a phone socket, 60m away.
> You've not said if this is ADSL or VDSL, but I'm not sure it would matter
> in regards to the answer...
> Do you really need to do that, or could you run a network cable from the
> router 60m away and plug it into a switch where you need the ports?
> Ethernet is probably way more tolerant than ADSL/VDSL.

VDSL is the newer version of ADSL and therefore both are technologies to
run data communications over the full available spectrum (bandwidth) of
ordinary copper telephone cabling used in the last mile deployment.  DSL
suffers from exponential decay of signal quality, so you always want to
place your DSL modem as close to the exchange as possible, and this usually
means immediately at the wall. For ADSL2+, if you are right next door to
the exchange you will get the full 24Mb Down and 1Mb Up, but at 800 metres,
this drops to about 16Mb Down, at 2000 meters, this drops to about 8Mb
Down, at 4000 meters this drops to 2 - 4Mb and about 400k up, but your
milage may vary.

> I am wondering what the best cable choice is for reliability and
> maximized data thrgouhput - attach the filter at the wall and run long
> cat6, or run phone cable from the wall to the router and attach filter
> there?
> I would advise having the filter connected directly to the socket, or
> replacing the socket with one that has the filter built in.

Put  your filter and router by the wall, then run 60m of Cat 5e and then a
switch and an access point (there is little point of going to Cat 6).  From
wikipedia:

Each 1000BASE-T network segment can be a maximum length of 100 meters (328
feet), and must use Category 5 cable or better (including Cat 5e and Cat 6).

Cat 6 is bulkier and more difficult to handle, and generally not worth the
effort, unless you have a very good reason.

Unless you know that there is a lot of EM / RF interference along where you
putting the cabling you should get full gigabit transfer.

> > I guess my main problem is that I cannot find what the name/definition
> of regular phone cable is to look up its properties....
> I don't think you'd notice a difference between cat5e and cat6 cable, but
> either of these would likely perform much better than telephone wire due to
> the tighter twisting of the pairs. You might find that shielded twisted
> pair (STP) cable performs slightly better than unshielded (UTP), depending
> on electrical noise, etc. There doesn't seem to be much information on the
> normal telephone cable, but I think it's CW1308 (which seems to me to be
> incorrectly listed as 4 wire cat5e - I'm sure that 5e has 4 pairs/8 wires,
> but feel free to correct me on any point). You can also pick up similar
> cable with 8 conductors, that I'm sure I've seen used in old alarm
> installations.
>
> Phone cabling (POTS / Plain Old Telephone System) is typically 2 pair
Category 3 UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair), but can come in much bigger
bundles.

Do not use STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) as you have to ensure it is grounded
to begin with, and even then its frequency response, attenuation and
impedance is different from UTP.  Ethernet is designed to use UTP, not
STP!  UTP is designed to cancel out noise through the twists in the pairs.
The one thing to note about long distances, is the earthing or grounding.
For example, if you are running a cable between two buildings, then the
ground potential (voltage) can be different enough to affect the operation
and health of your equipment.

David

--
David

Email   |  david at hackbinary.com

I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising
than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is
not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
 - J.B.S. Haldane