[EdLUG] Cat6 or regular phone cable for 60m distance?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Tue Jun 28 18:04:26 UTC 2016

On 28 Jun 2016 6:25 p.m., "Edinburgh Linux Users Group" <
edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I need to wire a router in one room to a phone socket, 60m away.
You've not said if this is ADSL or VDSL, but I'm not sure it would matter
in regards to the answer...
Do you really need to do that, or could you run a network cable from the
router 60m away and plug it into a switch where you need the ports?
Ethernet is probably way more tolerant than ADSL/VDSL.

> I am wondering what the best cable choice is for reliability and
maximized data thrgouhput - attach the filter at the wall and run long
cat6, or run phone cable from the wall to the router and attach filter
there?
I would advise having the filter connected directly to the socket, or
replacing the socket with one that has the filter built in.

> I guess my main problem is that I cannot find what the name/definition of
regular phone cable is to look up its properties....
I don't think you'd notice a difference between cat5e and cat6 cable, but
either of these would likely perform much better than telephone wire due to
the tighter twisting of the pairs. You might find that shielded twisted
pair (STP) cable performs slightly better than unshielded (UTP), depending
on electrical noise, etc. There doesn't seem to be much information on the
normal telephone cable, but I think it's CW1308 (which seems to me to be
incorrectly listed as 4 wire cat5e - I'm sure that 5e has 4 pairs/8 wires,
but feel free to correct me on any point). You can also pick up similar
cable with 8 conductors, that I'm sure I've seen used in old alarm
installations.

Hth,
Colin