[EdLUG] Old printers

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Dec 8 15:42:46 UTC 2016

On 8 December 2016 at 15:32, Edinburgh Linux Users Group <
edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk> wrote:

> If it's to harvest stepper motors, make sure the printers in question have
> steppers.
>
> A few low end HP ones use a cheap dc motor and an optical encoder strip
> which is interpreter by a photodiode mounted on the print head carriage -
> really clever and cheap design but basically useless outside the printer!

I am indeed after steppers (amongst other bits) - unfortunately it's not
just cheap HP ones that have a DC motor and optical encoder.

Steppers might be easier to work with, but googling around it is possible
to wire up the DC ones with the encoder and a disc to make a homebrew
servo. This is possibly beyond my very limited electronics skills, but I'm
doing this to learn.

Henry