[EdLUG] Module parameters are different from cmdline

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Dec 28 18:25:29 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

I have a question about kernel module parameters :) The problem I have is
that i915 kernel module uses different options from what I supply in the
kernel parameters and modprobe.d. I'm trying to load it with
"enable_execlists=0" while it still uses "enable_execlists=1":

*$ modprobe -c | grep i915 | grep execlists*
options i915 enable_rc6=7 enable_psr=2 enable_fbc=1 lvds_downclock=1
semaphores=1 *enable_execlists=0* modeset=1
options i915 *enable_execlists=0*

*$ sudo cat /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_execlists *
*1*

The distro is Ubuntu 16.10. Have you by any chance seen such a behavior
before? It seems like the loader picks up the options from the Kernel
cmdline and from modprobe.d, but the actually loaded module still uses its
own settings

Best Regards,
Maxim