[EdLUG] SSH - ssh-copy-id problem | RPi | Ubuntu.

Justin B Rye justin.byam.rye at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 05:48:54 UTC 2021

Geetam wrote:
> Hi Justin

(This is actually tengo at tutanota.de's problem, I'm just suggesting
ways of debugging it)

> 1) Have you tried increasing the log level to DEBUG2 or DEBUG3 ?
>
> 2) another way to get more detailed feedback if the above does not tell us
> (warning: this idea may be a bit tricky because the script nests quite a few
> commands together on one line) it should be possible to run each of the
> commands in the script one by one manually. Then you might get better
> feedback of which command actually fails (at the moment it is a whole 'nest'
> of commands on one line, that fails and it is hard to see which one is the
> cause of the failure). Sorry I cannot give more detailed suggestion because
> I would need to use trial an error and I do not have a similar environment
> to try it out.

I don't think the commands are failing, exactly - that ought to give
intelligible messages.  The remote machine is just hanging at the
point of running it.  When ssh-copy-id tells it to run "sh", it would
be useful to know what exactly that means on Raspbian - is it dash, or
bash, or what?  Might there be something screwy in its (global or
user-specific) startup configs?

Other options include setting DEBUG logging in the remote server
config, and editing the ssh-copy-id script to send some entirely
different command (such as "exec touch /tmp/Yes-I-Ran").
--
Justin B Rye
http://jbr.me.uk/