[EdLUG] SSH - ssh-copy-id problem | RPi | Ubuntu.

tengo at tutanota.de tengo at tutanota.de
Sun Mar 28 10:39:21 UTC 2021

Good morning,

I'm having a problem with the "ssh-copy-id" script and would appreciate some guidance on troubleshooting.

I have a Raspberry 3B+ running the latest Raspbian/RaspberryOS. I like to SSH to the Pi without using a password and I'm therefore using SSH keys.

The problem...

I can SSH to the Pi with a password, but when I use ssh-copy-id to copy my SSH key it simply hangs. No crash, no error, just hangs. I can see the SSH connection/authentication is successful from following the journal on the Pi. It seems the copy doesn't complete.

If I manually add my SSH key to the Pi I can connect without using a password.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?  ssh-copy-id doesn't seem to have an option to provide a verbose output that would allow me to see where it's hanging.

I tried the ssh-copy-id from another laptop, running Ubuntu 20.04, and it worked fine. As did running a simple ansible ad-hoc command. Even the SSH extension for VS code worked. This led me to try installing a fresh OS on the original laptop. The laptop I was trying to connect from was running Ubuntu 20.04. I've since installed Kubuntu 20.04 (I wanted to try KDE anyway) and still the same issue is occurring.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,

John