[EdLUG] Free Sun Rack

Andrew Ferguson andrewferguson500 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 19:19:49 UTC 2020

Hi all,

This message is on behalf of The Tardis Project at the University of
Edinburgh. Tardis is a student-run computing facility, founded in 1987.
(More info on our website: https://tardis.ed.ac.uk/). Over the past
30-plus years we’ve been running on a variety of hardware, starting off
with a GEC Series 63, then migrating to mainly Sun hardware, and now
we’re exclusively on x86.

For the past decade or so, the server rack we’ve used has been a Sun
rack. I believe (but am not 100% sure) it was originally called a ‘Sun
Expansion Rack’, designed to store rack-mounted expansion modules for a
Sun mainframe computer. Using it as a regular server rack with non-Sun
equipment has always been a bit of a fiddle due to the non-standard
depth and the imperial-measurement screws.

Earlier this year we finally upgraded to a donated Dell rack, leaving
the Sun rack now surplus to requirements. We have no use for it, so it’s
destined for recycling. However we thought we should check to see if
there’s any interest in it before it is scrapped. It’s not in the best
condition, a bit rusty on the top, but it still works (heck, we were
using it until February!). I've attached a single photo of the rack to
this message, pictures of all sides of the rack (in higher resolution)
can be found in the following Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/IsTzbL3

The rack is currently on the seventh floor of the Appleton Tower
building in the central area of Edinburgh. The University is enforcing
strict social distancing measures, but the building is open during usual
working hours. Logistically getting it to ground level and out the
responsibility of the interested party to take the rack away!

This is almost certainly a long shot, but it seems a shame to scrap it
without checking to see if there's any interest first.

Kind regards,
Andrew Ferguson

(member of The Tardis Project)