[EdLUG] Open source Security application - Lynis

Roy Bamford roy at crossford.net
Wed Jun 3 21:39:56 UTC 2020

On 2020.06.03 22:14, Andrew Ramage wrote:
> Attempting to run it from the directory it was installed in, I get
>
> andrew at andrew-Lenovo-G50-30:/usr/share$ lynis
> /usr/sbin/lynis: 204: .: Can't open /usr/share/lynis/include/consts
> andrew at andrew-Lenovo-G50-30:/usr/share$

[snip]

Andrew,

Your  /usr/share$ prompt says that you are running it as a normal user.
That didn't didn't work for me either.

Can't open /usr/share/lynis/include/consts  tells that the file exists.
I suspect you have everything owned by root too.

Read man lynis, at least as far as

FIRST TIME USAGE
       When running Lynis for the first time, run: lynis audit system

and try it from a root shell.

As a user I get
$ ls -l  /usr/share/lynis/include/consts
ls: cannot access '/usr/share/lynis/include/consts': Permission denied
When I try to ls that file.

Regards,

Roy Bamford