[EdLUG] How can I troubleshoot misbehaving java application

Tahir Hafiz tahir.hafiz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 18:35:20 UTC 2020

Dear All,

I am trying to run up a java application on a Centos 7 CIS Hardened
image. The application when using a gitlab-ci pipeline (gitlab ci,
ansible, aws), does not seem to take up the https_proxy being passed
to it. systemctl status shows the application bouncing up and down. I
have tried switching off SELinux.

If I run the application manually on the ec2 instance by the user
www-data which owns the application directory:
java -Dhttps.proxyHost=internal-outbound-nat-xyxzamazonaws
-Dhttps.proxyPort=3128 -jar /opt/*.jar

Then the application is able to start successfully.

But it won't start up successfully and times out on trying to reach
the proxy when trying it from the pipeline because I think java is
unable to take up the proxy settings.

Any clues as to what might be happening?  What log files can I look at?
Can systemd, journald help me here figure out what is happening? The
application log for the app appears empty.

Cheers,
Tahir