[EdLUG] to Tai KedzierskiKubuntu errors

Tai Kedzierski dch.tai at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 16:10:25 UTC 2019

Hi K_U

(EdLUG - this is a conversation continuation from Meetup.com around laptop
errors/freezes/crashes - context included below)

This does look like some sort of hardware issue. Searching for some of the
error text I find this:

*
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/425335/acpi-error-ae-not-found-when-installing-running-any-linux-os
*
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-installation-stuck-acpi-error-ae_not_found.247400/
*
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/443398/acpi-bios-error-ae-not-found

I mainly put these here to document it, if you want to try the suggestions
yourself please do, otherwise we can have a look tomorrow at the meetup
after the talk.

If anybody here recognises theses symptoms, do holler :-)

Context:

/===
I'm struggling with frequent freezes on both Kubuntu and even using a
(think it's call live USB) of Ubuntu ,just plugging in the USB of the
relatively new (September install) Ubuntu without installing it,Google Maps
seems to be a trigger or having more than 7 tabs & using the PC for a
couple of hours...I haven't tried Ubuntu Mint yet,I'm a bit scared my
laptop just generally freezes with any Ubuntu flavour possibly because of
some BIOS issues,I'm not sure.

I really want to use either Ubuntu or Linux Mint (haven't decided yet which
one best suits me but the frequent freezes are just making it unpractical &
I hate destroying an almost new laptop by constantly pressing the power off
button to force it to shut down when it freezes 4+ times a day...)

more & more issues are coming up with the computer now.Kde wallet Kde5
insists on opening for me to connect to the internet & the laptop doesn't
remember the wifi password anymore,it froze & the whole screen was full of
errors. Gwenview image viewer isn't able to open photos on my PC any more
unfortunately. It's this one :
https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-330s-81f400bquk-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-128gb-ssd-14-grey/p3633302
Lenovo Ideapad 330s 141kb intel pentium gold model name 81F4
===/

===
Tai Kedzierski
Linux Operations and Deployments Engineer

I use LibreOffice <https://www.libreoffice.org/> , a free,
Freedom-respecting replacement for MS Office

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software