[EdLUG] Calling All Talks! | And other stuff ...

Tai Kedzierski dch.tai at gmail.com
Mon May 20 16:23:16 UTC 2019

In this mail

* Last talk (it was good)
* June talk (Jekyll, Gitlab, Git, static site generators)
* Call for talks (anything! please!)

TL;DR --¬

* Last talk was successful, room might have been too small...
* June talk will happen in the same room, for consistency
* We need more talks, please suggest, or consult list at
https://gitlab.com/edlug/Meetings/wikis/Call-for-Talks

+++++++++

Hello everyone,

+++ Last talk

Thanks to all who came through for Rhys's talk on emulators, many people
expressed how good a talk it was and a couple of people have been talking
about how they've been inspired to use basic emulation as a springboard
project into learning new languages. Sounds like two birds and a hefty
stone to me, but nothing cool comes of being unambitious :-)

For the record, there were around 20 people in attendance last week - a
significant increase on the last few talks, and hopefully we will be able
to keep up that momentum! It was a tight squeeze for the most part, as I
never expected we'd suddenly shoot up to our old attendance rates
over-month.

I had booked the back room for May, June and July; so for consitency's
sake, we'll keep it at that. Once we demonstrate that we are a large enough
bunch, and we consume our worth, I will be able to convince the venue to
allow us to reserve a larger space, and perhaps get some leeway into
getting a mic+speaker for the presenter.

+++ June talk

The talk that was originally intended for May is back in June, namely,
"Creating a website with Jekyll SSG and Gitlab CI" by yours truly.

I'll send notes announcing and describing the talk in a separate email.

+++ Call for talks !

Would anybody else like to have the spotlight for a half hour (more or
less) one month? Giving talks it turns out is quite enjoyable - you get to
talk about something you're interested in that others may not yet know
about, and get a reason to rope your colleagues and/or buddies into coming
out for a geeky night...!

Talks don't have to be from a point of expertise either - they can (and
should) also be about sharing something new, something intriguing, and
starting a conversation around.

I've put out some ideas of talks I think might be of wider interest, but it
is by no means authoritative. Both Thomas and Shehraz have offered to give
talks on some topics at an upcoming meetup within the next half hear - I'm
waiting for you guys ;-)

https://gitlab.com/edlug/Meetings/wikis/Call-for-Talks

Feel free to edit the list with topics you'd like to see covered. If you
would like to offer to give a talk, please mail me on
maintainer at edlug.org.uk or directly on my current address here.

All the best, and happy Nixing!

Tai

===
Tai Kedzierski
Linux Operations and Deployments Engineer

I use LibreOffice <https://www.libreoffice.org/> , a free,
Freedom-respecting replacement for MS Office

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software