[EdLUG] Recommendation request: email service

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Jul 17 13:31:02 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019, at 1:36 PM, Tai Kedzierski wrote:
> Wondering if anybody has tried (and somewhat tested?) any email providers as alternative to Gmail?
>
> The main reason I'm still on Gmail is because of their excellent spam filtering, functionality of which is of importance to me. The other features like labelling/tagging and search are of less importance.

I use Fastmail (https://www.fastmail.com/ - $5/month), although I haven't managed to fully move away from Gmail either.

Privacy isn't the central focus in the same way as it is for many of the providers on that list - e.g. they can process your unencrypted mail for things like training the shared spam filter. But there's no advertising, and I largely trust them to take privacy and security seriously.

The spam filter works pretty well, in my experience: a few more slip through than on Gmail, but I think I've seen more false positives in my spam folder on Gmail. There's a pretty nice webmail interface, support for all the relevant standard protocols, and they've been driving the development of JMAP, a new JSON-based protocol designed to replace IMAP.

Thomas