[EdLUG] Fwd: [Baen Baen's Bar] Cybersecurity

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Tue Feb 19 19:51:57 UTC 2019

Hi Andrew

(Obligatory disclaimer: I am neither a lawyer, nor a security professional.
The following stems from my experience in general and cannot constitute
advice.)

On the face of it, yes, if it is an independent professional auditor, they
will need full access to the system, or for him to provide proof that
everything he is doing meets their requirements. Generally, only full
access can provide such proof.

Log files only provide minimal insight into what a system has done in the
past ; it does not show how the system is configured, and what practices
are in place, and whilst your friend's contact may in good faith believe he
has a secure system and only his own processes are running on his
computers, it is the auditor's responsibility to investigate it for
themselves, first hand, and to possibly ferret out anything that was missed
by the friend.

That is what an audit precisely is.

Conversely:

If he himself is concerned about their activities, he can seek out a lawyer
to provide him with a proper Non Disclosure Agreement contract to have the
auditor sign - I wouldn't know it is standard practice, but I think he
would be within his rights to require this in turn.

If the computers in question are not being used directly to service the
organisation or hold the organisation's data who is requiring the audit,
there is a question mark over to what extent they can require the audit to
be carried out. That's an entirely different question.

Tai

===
Tai Kedzierski
Linux Operations and Deployments Engineer

RHCSA # 170-060-834
<https://www.redhat.com/rhtapps/services/verify?certId=170-060-834>

I use LibreOffice <https://www.libreoffice.org/> , a free,
Freedom-respecting replacement for MS Office

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software