[EdLUG] Summary of yesterday's session

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Fri Jun 8 14:51:17 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Thanks to all who were able to come yesterday and make their voices heard
(over the din) !

Here's what we covered yesterday:

+++
Venue

There are four areas we will ask at ; we'll need to find out what evenings
they can offer, with our preference being Mon-Thu

We tried to take into account wheelchair access, ready installed TV to
present through, proximity to main out of town transport hubs (Waverly,
Haymarket) and .. the ability to have a drink (though going for after-talks
drinks is fine too).

We'll put it to a vote count online once we have confirmation of the
statuses of each place.

* Brass Monkey, Drummond Stree, Old Town
* Royal Dick Bar at Summerhall
* Teviot Student Union
* Victoria Terrace Quaker House

I did not move to discuss company sponsoring at this time, since we would
need to improve our standing with talks.

As previously, any extra suggestions are most welcome, please mail the
list, or me personally on dch.tai/gmail

+++
Talks

New attendee and long time list and IRC lurker Piotr/Peter has offered to
do a talk - as I recall after several options were put forward we settled
on *Kernel Creation and Customization* - look forward to it !

I / Tai have offered to do an intro talk on using Git and web git workflows
(likely Gitea) in September

We'll also make it a *de facto* practice to call/coax for talks after each
session.

As an encouragement, a talk can also be on a topic like "I just discovered
this the other month and have been playing with it, here's what I found and
why it's cool." You don't even need slides, you could also do it as an
ad-hoc demo.

More discussion, more discovery, more delight.

+++
Website

There was a general consensus that the website should be pared down, so
that it focuses on

* being a CTA / Call-to-Action page
* providing links to the mailing list archive and the OpenTechCalendar page
* providing the date, time and summary of the upcoming talk

Jan highlighted to me that we already have 10 years hosting with GladServ,
as well as the domain edlug.org.uk pointing at it, so it could make sense
to implement on this infrastructure.

Alternatively, I have also registered the @edlug handle on (Now Microsoft
[tm]) Github https://github.com/edlug

This can be used to

* allow multiple masters/maintainers of the repository
* anyone to fork-pull-request to change the site, masters to approve
* use github.io as the hosting mechanism

We could also run both in parallel, with the gladserv server pulling the
github repo / deploy by webhook.

+++
Mailing list

The idea was put forward to use Google Groups as a froum/mailing list
system, general consensus from those present to the idea with one objection
from Piotr, who has offered instead to help see if we can resolve the
archives problem in pipermail.

We'll look at resolving the issue then, and if that does not prove
feasible, we'll come back to the idea of alternate hosted systems at a
later meeting.

+++
Calendar

We'll specifically use the Open Tech Calendar as the primary/official means
through which to publish and promote our events.

The calendar section of the website will thus not be needed, and we can
focus on the CTA implementation.

Thanks then to all,

Let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

Tai