[EdLUG] The Error When Updating

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 14:53:12 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew

I checked the file you shared ; it is exactly the same symptoms as this,
for Ubuntu 18.04:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1056780/cant-upgrade-update-ubuntu-18-04-as-apt-dpkg-error-is-showing-up

In short, you seem to have at some point installed HPLIP HP's own install
script, and HP's installer is very broken. Quoting from the linked article:

The problem is HPLIP installer. It incorrectly uninstalls Ubuntu-packaged
version by deleting files, which are maintained by package manager.

The answer advocated is listed here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1056077/how-to-install-latest-hplip-on-my-ubuntu-to-support-my-hp-printer-and-or-scanner/1056078#1056078

To cut the steps to what looks like what you need:

* get the installer/uninstaller script for HP's custom install
* uninstall HPLIP custom
* reinstall python3
* fix installations
* install distro's own hplip support

Commands:

wget https://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/project/hplip/hplip/3.18.12/hplip-3.18.12.run
&&
sh hplip-3.18.12.run --noexec &&
cd hplip-3.18.12 &&
sudo ./uninstall.py &&
sudo rm -rf /usr/share/hplip/ &&

sudo apt-get -f install &&
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

WARNING - some of the above commands are assumptions - I have not tested
these, my system is not in this state so I cannot confirm their correctness.

After the `sudo rm ...` step, it may in fact be necessary to remove python3
and then reinstall it *however* that may have for effect to remove other
key packages than just python3 (which is why I do not list a command for it)

If the apt-get -f install command fails, try running `sudo apt-get install
--reinstall python3` to see if this helps, then run the commands from -f
install again.

See AskUbuntu posts for more details.

Good luck.

===
Tai Kedzierski
Linux Operations and Deployments Engineer

RHCSA # 170-060-834
<https://www.redhat.com/rhtapps/services/verify?certId=170-060-834>

I use LibreOffice <https://www.libreoffice.org/> , a free,
Freedom-respecting replacement for MS Office

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software