[EdLUG] Old Sun "Ultra 10" workstation up for grabs

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Jun 7 16:14:17 UTC 2017

Just on the offchance anyone has any interest before I cart this off to
the ewaste skip at the dump...

Sun Ultra 10 workstation (squat tower case, not "pizzabox" style).
- Think processor was over 400MHz; I forget how much RAM or disk
- Creator 3D graphics board.
- Adapter widget for the proprietary Sun graphics port to VGA.
- Sun keyboard (implies US layout, I think) and 3-button mouse
(roller-ball based, not optical).
- More info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_5/10

I was successfully running Debian's SPARC releases on it (including a
lightweight X11 desktop) up until a few Debian versions back, but
stopped having much reason to use it when VMs on my amd64 boxes got good
and I retired my last CRT screen... and found the adapter widget didn't
seem to want to drive my LCD's VGA input (at least not through the KVM
box I use).  For a while I carried on using it headless by ssh... but it
was last powered up and logged into it quite a few years ago.

Just powered it up for first time in ages now and while it sounds
healthy enough, I can't ssh into it and don't have any way of seeing the
video output.  Maybe just my DHCP setup has suffered bitrot.  Maybe I
tried a headless upgrade to the next Debian version and something broke.
Maybe it's sitting there at an fsck prompt.  It's been too long to
remember what I was last doing with it; either way I've now no interest
in sinking any time into trying to recover it.  I think I originally
installed Debian on it using tftp and the SunOS' BIOS' option to
netboot, but repeating that'd need being able to see the console.

Can't imagine this being of any practical value to anyone, unless they
have the patience to ebay it (whole or in bits).  Might be a nice
nostalgia trip for someone though :^)

Free to collect from Marchmont if interested.
Tim