[EdLUG] Hello from a lurker and why is the list configured this way?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 12:38:28 UTC 2016

On 24/03/16 12:12, Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote:
> I seem to have deleted the relevant thread but....
>
> Last year it seemed bots were farming our public mail archive for
> addresses, and sending very inappropriate spam to the list, whilst
> impersonating valid users.
>
> We're still trying to figure out how to configure mailman so that the
> addresses are hidden on the public archive, but visible in inboxes.

Unless Mailman has changed recently in this regard I believe that the
only options are to do what you have done and anonymise the list or use
an alternative archiver which does a better job than the "local_part at
domain_part" obscuring that pipermail (?) does.

> So far we've found nothing, but if anybody knows how, please, we're all
> ears.

No suggestions here I'm afraid. I see the question has been asked on the
Mailman-Users list but it doesn't seem to have been taken any further.

Dave