[EdLUG] Hello from a lurker and why is the list configured this way?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 11:34:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've been a lurker on this list for many years. I'm a retired IT guy who
used to work at Heriot-Watt. I'm amusing myself in my waning years by
being an occasional contributor to (and part-time admin for) Hacker
Public Radio (http://hackerpublicradio.org/).

I thought it was time I said "Hello".

While I'm de-lurking I wondered why the Mailman configuration for this
list was set to 'anonymous_list = Yes'. This is documented as:

"anonymous_list (general): Hide the sender of a message, replacing it
with the list address (Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields)"

Do most list members wish not to reveal their email addresses?

I administer the HPR Mailman list and we have this set to 'No'.

Regards,
Dave

Dave Morriss, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK | perloid at autistici.org