[EdLUG] Text messages

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Mon Jun 13 09:45:53 UTC 2016

> On 13 Jun 2016, at 10:17, Edinburgh Linux Users Group <edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk> wrote:
>
> I had a situation Friday evening where my handset said messages were being sent,GiffGaff(GG), but were not being delivered!
> Eventually from the GG status page I found that a mast in the Inverkeithing are where I live was  out of action.   The messages were eventually delivered about 14 hours later!  I was receiving texts OK, and voice both ways was working
>
> Can anyone point me to a URL where I can read about how the mobile network works, or is supposed to work?
>
> Its the way my handset said Sent  but they weren't delivered that perturbs me.  That just isn't a good system protocol.

It's not a great system. But it was never designed to be.

On Giffgaff (and O2 who actually run the network) you need to prefix SMS messages with *0# to get sent a free delivery report). Don't bother with the "delivery report" setting your phone will have in the SMS settings - that doesn't work on O2/Giffgaff.

If you want more reliability (and security) use something like Whatsapp or iMessage (possibly coming to Android today).

Cheers
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone

--
Kevin Davidson
Apple Certified System Administrator

t 01506 668674
m 07813 149620
w www.indigospring.co.uk

indigospring (Scotland) Ltd
Registered in Scotland No. SC398572
Registered office: 103 Oldwood Place, Livingston EH54 6US

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/indigospringIT
Members of the Apple Consultants Network - consultants.apple.com/uk

http://www.indigospring.co.uk/terms-and-conditions