[EdLUG] Buying a laptop without Windows

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Mon Jun 6 11:01:50 UTC 2016

HI Maxim

Yeah, your Curry's contact clearly has not been trained on licensing
issues, but I see why their management would think it's a non-issue. The
more we hammer call centres with such questions, maybe we can change that.
Would be an interesting movement to start...

For retailers who ship PCs without Windows, you can always try smaller
shops who may do a more personalized service... at the very least erasing
the hard drive before selling you the PC. I like your principle, for my
part I tend to bite the bullet and buy with Windows on it and nuke/repave
as soon as I open it up.

Remember that high-street retailers have for the most part a non-tech
market in mind, which generally means "take it as it comes; we do not
expect you to customize or provide the facilitation to do so."

There was a case in Germany of a chap who managed to get the OEM to fork
out a reimbursement on his laptop (rather than the retailer); and another
case where the buyer forced the store clerk to start the new laptop and
decline the TOS to ensure there was no doubt he had never accepted them,
then got the reimbursement from them through a lot of hassle.

I suspect it will be very much a case-by-case basis. Some manufacturers
have a policy in place where you can call in to get a refund after
purchasing, but I'm not sure how well it works/is adhered to...

For PCs that ship with Linux off the bat, you have

* System76 (USA)
* Entroware (UK)
* ZAReason (AUS/NZ)
* ThinkPenguin (USA / refurbished ThinkPads)

off the top of my head, as well as Dell's XPS 13 Developer Edition which
all ship with some variant of Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE or Trisquel.

Unfortunately though, these are all online-only stores. Some major vendors
offer their hardware online without any operating system, you could always
call and ask about that, after checking out the hardware itself in a store
(and under Windows).

Best of luck!

Tai

===
Tai Kedzierski

Affordable Office IT for Freelance and Startup Businesses
http://helpuse.com/

  I use www.libreoffice.org

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
http://bit.ly/foss-why-care