[EdLUG] How to tell if a computer is 32 bit or 64 bit

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Sat Jul 30 18:39:42 UTC 2016

Hi Roy,

I ran this command:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo > /home/cje/Documents/cpuinfo01.txt

And got a fairly extensive output.  I have edited it below.  The word flags
appeared 2x, and here are those lines, not sure what they show, although I
do see the number 64, but 64 what?

==========
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc
arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm ida dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc
arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm ida dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority
==================

The other interesting thing is the following, which I am not sure is
evidence of 32 bit or 64 bit.  It would appear to me to be 64 bit:

<snip>
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64

Thanks everyone for your help!