[EdLUG] Startup Disk Creator not filing .iso files

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Oct 1 09:40:07 UTC 2015

I think I came across this a couple years ago - the answer, alas, is to not
use SDC, but the command line.

cd path/to/iso/dir
lsblk
# (identify the flash drive - likely /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or the likes)
# (you should be able to identify it by its size - or just remove the flash
drive, run lsblk again, see what disappears)
sudo dd if=name_of_image.iso of=/dev/sdc # (as appropriate)

This will copy byte-for-byte the ISO to your flash drive, overwriting it
completely. It will look like nothing is happening when you run the
command, but that's just the 'dd' command - it's not verbose at all. Takes
about 1-4 minutes depending on ISO side and write speed of the flash drive.

Note that if this is one of the official Ubuntu respins (Ubuntu, Lubuntu,
Kubuntu, etc) then it should be fine to boot from flash disk. Other ISOs
may not have compatibility for being written to and booted from a flash
disk.

You can convert an ISO to "hybrid" (CD and USB compatibility) by installing
the syslinux utility and running isohybrid (which will modify the ISO file
itself - maybe do this on a copy of the ISO)

sudo apt install syslinux
isohybrid path/to/your.iso

Good luck

===
Tai Kedzierski

Affordable Office IT for Freelance and Startup Businesses
http://helpuse.com/

  I use www.libreoffice.org

*"Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price."*
http://bit.ly/foss-why-care