[EdLUG] PXE boot solutions

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 17:57:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am the Executive Director of a very small non-profit called
Partimus.org.  We put Linux computers in public schools here in the San
Francisco Bay Area.  We are currently working on creating a pre-seed distro
that we can use to mass install a Ubuntu variant (probably Lubuntu) over
the network.  The Linux guru who was responsible for doing that task has
left our organization, and we need a volunteer who can do it.  This is a
project that can be handled remotely.  In other words, someone on this list
who is familiar with making PXE-bootable disks could probably cobble
together a PXE-bootable .iso, and then we would deploy it in a Linux lab in
a public school out there.

But let me also state that I am a very low level Linux sys admin.  My role
in Partimus.org is that of cheerleader.  I know about 20 BASH commands and
that is it.  I tried to learn Python once, and found out that I suck at
it.  But I do get the power of FOSS, and I am enthusiastic about it, and I
have used FOSS for 15 years in my business as an attorney and insurance
agent.  What that means is that I have an idea that I am throwing out there
to see if it will work.  I know that this might be a task for which someone
might ordinarily be paid, so I don't mean to insult anyone by asking for
this volunteer effort.  Partimus.org is a small non-profit that has no paid
staff and is 100% volunteers at this time.  Thanks!

Christian Einfeldt,
Executive Director,
Partimus.org

--