[EdLUG] Chrome

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Mar 11 08:57:15 UTC 2015

> I am concerned that I have installed the incorrect Ubuntu distro on my Zareason
> ultralap 440.  When I went to Ubuntu to download the .iso, it gave me this iso
> to install:
>
> ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
>
> When I check the system settings, it says that I have an Intel Core i5-42008
> CPU @ 1.60 GHz x 4.

Sure that isn't i5-4200U?  Not that I know the difference.

> My problem is that I am trying to install the Google Chrome browser, using this
> method:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/510056/
> how-to-install-google-chrome-on-ubuntu-14-04
>
> Essentially, when I follow that method, it always gives me an AMD package:
>
> google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
>
>  and then when I try to install it, I get an error that says wrong
> architecture.

I don't know why it's giving you that error, but it's nothing to do
with AMD versus Intel.  The "amd64" (AKA "X86-64") CPU architecture
might more transparently have been named "64bitpc", but it's far too
late now.

You could doublecheck that your CPU is really truly 64-bit by running

 getconf LONG_BIT

but if you're booting an amd64 install, I can't see how it could be
wrong.

It's possible that Google's installer tests for particular CPU
features and doesn't find them - Chrom(ium) won't run on one of my
relic i386 machines, for instance, because it lacks the SSE flag.
But it does at least *tell* me that instead of vaguely blaming the
architecture.

(The "i386" architecture likewise just means "32bitpc", not literally
"Intel 386 CPU".  My chromeproof CPU is in fact an AMD K7 Duron.)
--
Justin B Rye <justin.byam.rye at gmail.com>
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)