[EdLUG] 14 cheap laptops apparently

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Aug 26 19:41:37 UTC 2015

Ad: no longer avail. Individuals selling lots of laptops even old always
sounds fishy to me....

Kids' distos: what particularly do you want to be "non-grownup"? How old is
your daughter? What activities would you like her computing experience to
focus on?

Ubuntu MATE, Mint Cinamon or evolve OS could be interesting options
interface-wise, with OOo4kids (open office with simplified interface), if
you're willing to do some initial app chosing and installation. Don't
forget to install HTTPS Everywhere plugin, and adblocker in browser.

But otherwise it's like every distro choice: what audience, what workflow,
what purpose?

If it's just for her to "have a computer" the above recommendation stands.
Any more specific workflow and you probably want to delve deeper than a
"what distro" question, though the 'buntu family does make getting up to
date sw vs stability easier...

My 2 cents for your penny.

--Tai

// Sent from a mobile device; rogue typos may be lurking