[EdLUG] Joint LUG event: Lightning talks on Linux audio

Nic noeisnotunique at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 21:16:43 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for organizing this Thomas, was really fun i really enjoyed it
although my first experience with Mozilla hub has been shocking (not in a
negative sense) :)

Here the txt file extracted from my talk is anyone interested for your
reference:

EDLUG - Audio mini talk - make/record a song with Jack, Ardour and Hydrogen
in "live" mode examples

- Equipment (photo description)
  SoundCard Behringer UMC404HD (Full supported by Linux/ALSA)
  Amplifier/Guitar/Effects
  Headphones - no sound in the room

- GNU/Linux OS - Audio ready to go distro
  KXStudio (Ubuntu based but repo available for Debian 10 as well)
  AVLinux (MXLinux/Debian based)
  Ubuntu Studio
  OpenSUSE (+ GeekosDAW repo)

- Kernel
  RT Kernel (Best result for live performance with Jack)
  Optimised Kernel (Lowlatency, PREEMPT)
  Kernel Generic/Default

- OS Audio Configuration/Optimisation guide tip
  (USB bus/IRQ conflicts) Sound card has to sit on its own usb bus to avoid
conflicts
    lsusb
    cat /proc/interrupts
    sudo /etc/init.d/rtirq status

- JACK overview
  Qjackctl frontend
  Settings (Sample rate, Frames period/Buffer)
  Graph/Connections

- Hydrogen (Drum machine sequencer)
  Drumkits
  Settings - Stereo or per channels output - Jack transport
  Define Song Metronome/BPM
  Program the drum using either patterns/song

- Ardour (Digital Audio Workstation)
  Jack transport
  Add drum tracks and connect inputs (Stereo or per Hydrogen channels)
  add voice and guitar lead channels
  arm/record
  Overdubbing arrangements
  add midi synth or track effects
  Editing/Mixing

Users support:
https://linuxmusicians.com/index.php

Guides/Docs
LinuxMusicians audio system_configuration:
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration
Jack docs: https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki
Ardour docs: https://manual.ardour.org/welcome-to-ardour/

Tutorials: