[EdLUG] December meeting - On day $N of Xmas, FOSS gave to me...

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Tue Nov 2 21:12:12 UTC 2021

Hi all,

For our December meeting (Tuesday 7th December), I'd like to have a collection of small talks, bound together with the theme of "On day $N of Christmas, FOSS gave to me..."

To make this work, your LUG needs you! The more speakers we can find, the more fun this will be. :-D It would be amazing if we could do 12 talks, though that might be a stretch. It will be a *maximum* of 5 minutes per talk, so it's not a big commitment.

The idea is simple: tell us about some cool open source thing! It could be a game, a useful tool, or an algorithm (with an open source implementation). It could be something so widespread we hardly notice it, like DNS, or a personal story like how you rescued a broken laptop using Linux. It could be open hardware, or even an open source cola (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCola_(drink) ). The only requirement is for something open source which you're glad exists!

I want to see what you come up with yourself first, but I'll post some specific suggestions a bit nearer the time. Please reply here to pledge a talk, or contact me directly if you prefer. I can also help if you want to talk but are stuck for a topic.

See you in December,
Thomas

P.S. We've decided not to organise the traditional Christmas meal in December, because the risk of spreading COVID when restaurants are super busy seems too high. We're hoping to have a delayed meal together some time in January/February. If that happens, the details will of course be on this list.