[EdLUG] Advice on Linux migration task

Mark Turner replicant.mark at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:26:58 UTC 2021

My instinct says that as they are all "Legacy Servers", some 20 years old
etc
start by cataloging them, and putting each one into a virtualized chroot
jail on a new machine, then start writing the docs, and look to see if they
are actually needed, or can be replaced with something better. As an
academic institution you will have huge resources in "Student Projects"
which you can spec out for the lecturers to consider for students, and
rewrite them using something NOT proprietory aws, and push these servers
towards being "Smart contracts" running in containers - whatever containers
are favoured by your institution - maybe docker, or node.js.

Just my opinion, but people like to hang on to legacy stuff just because it
seems to work most of the time.

Mark Turner.