[EdLUG] Advice on Linux migration task

Martin Love martin.t.love at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:32:59 UTC 2021

Hi Tahir,

The first think I would be doing is setting expectations with the
Project Manager. If everything was documented to migrate 40 servers in
just 10 weeks is a tall order. You will absolutely run into problems
that will take time to resolve and to make matters worse you have no one
to fall back on. Setting realistic expectations will take the pressure
off you. Just having that pressure lifted will mean you'll inevitably
make less mistakes.

As to what questions to ask the sysadmin.. Who are his contacts in each
of the departments that use these systems. If you have a contact there,
even a non technical contact can help point you in the correct
direction. In academic institutions you usually find the users of these
bespoke applications have a really good handle on how they are setup and
function.

Just me tuppence worth.

Martin