[EdLUG] What piques your interest?

Dick Middleton dick at lingbrae.com
Tue Feb 2 16:44:40 UTC 2021

On 1/31/21 10:17 PM, tengo at tutanota.de wrote:
> Somethings I'd be interested to hear about...
>
> - Home automation: What hardware are you using and why? What lessons have you learned
> setting things up?

I've got lots of hardware.  The latest things are these mini-pc devices meant to be
screwed to the back of a monitor.  I snagged an AcePC AK2 on ebay last year and it's
really very good; small, capable and if you shop carefully can be had for a decent price.

I'm not sure about Rpi, I prefer a real disc but at least it now has wifi.

I also use arduino, esp8266 and esp32 and Sonoff(esp8266).  I use MQTT and MQTT-SN for
inter-device comms.  It's very easy to use and well supported.

Most of my software is home made but recently discovered InfluxDB. It's magic for keeping
time based data (as home automation tends to be).  Its companion Telegraf is a very
versatile collector of data. With very little effort I'm now bunging in 1000 data points
an hour and viewing it in glorious detail with Grafana.  Just because I can.

Dick