[EdLUG] December meeting - On day $N of Xmas, FOSS gave to me...

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Dec 1 23:34:18 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

Our December meeting is going ahead on Tuesday next week, with a collection of short talks on the theme of "On day $N of Christmas, FOSS gave to me..."

https://www.meetup.com/Edinburgh-Linux-User-Group-EdLUG/events/282063061/

I've got 5 people lined up to talk so far (thank you all!), but there's certainly room for some more. All you have to do is pick some piece of free & open source software that you're glad exists, and tell us about it for no more than 5 minutes.

Here are some ideas for possible talks:

- A game, e.g. 0 A.D., Supertuxkart, OpenTTD
- A desktop application, e.g. Firefox, LibreOffice, Inkscape
- A command line tool, e.g. watch, entr, borg
- 'System' software, like systemd, KDE, ZFS or Postgres
- Ubiquitous infrastructure like Wifi, TCP or DNS (algorithms and protocols are in scope if there's an open source implementation)
- Open hardware, e.g. the Librem 5 phone, Arduino, Raspberry Pi
- Something you've done with open source
- Anything else open source: open source cola recipes, the open source seed initiative...

These are just examples: topics not on this list are also very welcome! Get in touch with me if you'd like to give a talk.

I'll also allow one talk on penguins, from whoever offers it first. :-D The 5 minute time limit will still apply.

See you on the 7th,
Thomas