[EdLUG] Call for talks

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Sat Aug 7 14:48:10 UTC 2021

I hope everyone's well! This is just a brief reminder that EdLUG is still on the look out for people to give talks. I've added a list of past talks from the last couple of years to the website for inspiration (https://edlug.gitlab.io/past-talks/ ), in addition to the wiki page with ideas for topics (https://gitlab.com/edlug/Meetings/-/wikis/Call-for-Talks ). These are just ideas - anything about Linux, free & open source software or digital rights is in scope. If you're interested in giving a talk, please get in touch - I'm happy to chat about any ideas you might have, even if you can't see how to fit them into a talk.

Nicola has stepped up to do a talk for September (thanks!) - more details to follow in a couple of weeks. I'm still looking for people to talk in October & November (plenty of time to prepare ;-).

I plan to continue with online meetings for the time being, but please do start thinking about where we might hold physical meetings, assuming that we want to get back to that one day. Unfortunately Akva, our last venue before the pandemic, seems to have permanently closed. We ideally want a space for 20-ish people, with a projector or a big TV screen, preferably which we can get for free based on the understanding that we'll have a drink or two while we're there.

Any other ideas for venues we could use near the city centre are welcome. Another LUG I've been in took donations to fund room hire, but I suspect there aren't many venues in central Edinburgh cheap enough for this to be practical.

See you all next month!
Thomas