[EdLUG] Hosting for small community website

Magnus Hagdorn magnus.hagdorn at marsupium.org
Tue Apr 27 09:03:15 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-04-27 at 06:53 +0100, Ian Stuart wrote:
> * Wordpress is the clear & undisputed leader - 44% CMS market share
> (and
>
> 40% of all websites) says something.

just to throw in my thoughts. I would avoid using wordpress if
possible. If you are using wordpress you need to be very sure that the
installation in up-to-date and any plugins you might decide to use are
well maintained. Otherwise your site will get taken over....

Wordpress is clearly useful if a number of people contribute content.

Personally, I prefer static websites. There is just a lot less to go
wrong. I am using pelican [1] to generate a number of sites from
restructured text/mark down inputs kept in a git repo. pelican can be
used for both blogs and full blown websites.

[1] https://docs.getpelican.com/en/latest/