[EdLUG] how to make a Windows 10 laptop more Linux like

Chay chaypaterson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 08:38:27 UTC 2021

Hi Tahir,

I don't remember if Windows Subsystem for Linux
<https://www.itechguides.com/windows-subsystem-for-linux/> is a Store
thing or a separate thing, but I've used that on a Windows 10 machine to
get essentially a full Debian userland running in parallel to the
Windows system. It was very good -- filesystem very transparent,
/*bash*/, apt, no VM overhead -- you can even run X applications from
it, but need a client application installed on your windows system. You
just grab a distribution installer (I think minus the actual kernel?)
and off you go.

I also tested Alpine and found it worked.

IIRC the actual mechanics of it was there was some kind of chroot it
puts the Linux stuff in, and there's a kind of reverse WINE to translate
Linux program's system calls? Haven't had to use it since last summer so
can't study it to check.

Chay