[EdLUG] how to make a Windows 10 laptop more Linux like

Tahir Hafiz tahir.hafiz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 08:24:48 UTC 2021

Hi All,

For my new job I have to use a Windows 10 Enterprise (version 1809) laptop
with a low level account  - it's quite restricted but they have given me
another account too - a privileged level account to install software from
the internet (the MS Store is disabled however).

What are some of the best and easiest ways to make a Windows machine more
Linux like these days? Back in the day when I used to use Windows for work
I would install Cygwin as that would give me a bash like shell as well as
sed, awk, grep, find, etc, etc.
I still need access to the Windows file system on this laptop and the files
on the file system so a Virtual Machine is probably not a good idea (and I
think it's against policy anyways).

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Tahir