[EdLUG] Separate Logical Disks

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Tue Oct 6 21:12:14 UTC 2020

It's possible to upgrade or reinstall the system without touching your home partition. But if something goes wrong, it wouldn't be hard to wipe that data out by accident, so it's always sensible to make a backup first.

External hard drives start from about £40 at PC world - not as good as an offsite backup, but much better than nothing. You probably can't back up everything without spending some money, but the free tier of services like Google Drive & OneDrive offer a few GB, so if you can pick the most important files, you can make a free backup that way.

Perhaps I can do a lightning talk on my backups at some point - I use a program called Borg, and pay $9 per year for the server space to store backups on. But this took a little bit more setup than copying files to an external drive.

Thomas